All times are Eastern. Online library workshops use GoTo Training. For more information about using GoToTraining, contact NSU’s Help Desk.
Handouts & Recordings
Most workshops are recorded and are made available on this webpage (below) within one week of the live session. If you’re looking for a specific workshop that you don’t see on the list, please contact us. Recordings are hosted in GoToTraining and require your name and email address to access.
Recording (August 2016)
Creating Database Accounts in ProQuest & EBSCO Databases (PDF)
Cross-Searching ProQuest & EBSCO Databases (PDF)
Using AND, OR, NOT (Boolean Operators) in Database Searches (PDF)
In addition to full-length workshop recordings, short video tutorials are available in Library Learn.
Gear Up Workshop Series:
Gear up for optimal success in research, publishing, and copyright by attending one of the 2016-2017 workshops. These sessions are open to faculty, staff, students, and members of the community.
View recordings of past Gear Up workshops on topics such as copyright, publishing, and grants.
Access World News Recording (Sept. 2016)
- This comprehensive news collection is ideal for exploring issues and events at the local, regional, national and international level. Its diverse sources include print and online-only newspapers, blogs, newswires, journals, broadcast transcripts and videos.
- Rob Kolton, Eastern Regional Sales Manager, demonstrates APA Style CENTRAL, which is designed to assist students, instructors and researchers in the education and proper application of APA Style formatting rules, and extends its utility to offer expert tools and guidance on the scholarly writing and research processes.
Biosis Citation Index and Zoological Record Slides (Sept. 2016)
- These databases offer structured indexing and citation tracking for your work across the spectrum of biological sciences. These slides explain how to find and use the controlled indexing for systematic research (particularly finding new species and nomenclature changes) and how to set up alerts for new publications.
- This digital library includes scholarly journals, books, and primary source materials, with a specific focus on the humanities and social sciences. In this recording, Ken DiFiore, Library Outreach Director at JSTOR, shows patron content access and denial measurements, based on JSTOR collections, disciplines, and title. In addition, it provides an update on JSTOR’s new e-book initiative. Currently, JSTOR hosts over 44,000 scholarly monographs.
SAGE Research Methods Recording (Oct. 2016)
- Learn how this database suite can support the teaching and learning of research methods in the social and behavioral sciences. SAGE Research Methods Cases are stories of how real research projects were conducted. SAGE Research Methods Datasets are a collection of teaching datasets and instructional guides that give students a chance to learn data analysis by practicing themselves. SAGE Research Methods Video contains more than 120 hours of video, including tutorials, case study videos, expert interviews, and more, covering the entire research methods and statistics curriculum.
NSU Campus Workshops
Not on main campus? No problem! Attend one of our online workshops or attend a face-to-face workshop when a librarian visits your campus! Look for more details from your site coordinator.
If you attend classes fully online but would like to attend a workshop at an NSU campus, please contact us.
There are no programs currently scheduled.
Request a Library Training
We offer instruction sessions on how to use Alvin Sherman Library resources. Sessions range from tours and general orientations to in-depth research trainings that can be tailored for a specific topic or assignment. Please choose the best option below to request a training with a librarian.