The Document Delivery/Interlibrary Loan Department, located on the third floor of the Alvin Sherman Library, supports the information needs of Nova Southeastern University’s academic library patrons and Broward County public library patrons by obtaining and providing library materials that may not be readily available. The service you may need will depend on the type of patron you are. Please review the links below for more information.
Request materials now through your ILLiad account.
NSU students, faculty, and staff that are enrolled in or affiliated with distance programs may request library materials to be delivered to their home, office, or desktop. The DD/ILL Department will attempt to fill all requests from the library collections of the NSU Libraries, other academic institutions, and from commercial document delivery vendors. The NSU Libraries abide by the 1976 U.S. Copyright Law, which governs the borrowing and use of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Distance users of the Alvin Sherman Library can request items from the Document Delivery / Interlibrary Loan through their ILLiad account.
- The Document Delivery / Interlibrary Loan Department will not process requests submitted with incomplete citations. You will be notified if we receive any requests with incomplete citations. Please call the Reference Desk if you have questions about what constitutes a complete citation. 954-262-4613 or 1-800-541-6682, ext. 24613.
- Phone requests for materials will not be accepted. Please use an appropriate ILLiad form or online form.
Once the Document Delivery Department receives a request, the staff will fill the order as quickly as possible. Turnaround time between processing requests and receipt of the material by the patron is dependent upon several factors, most of which are outside the control of the NSU Libraries. Materials held by the NSU Libraries collection will arrive first, usually within 5 business days. Materials obtained from other sources which need to be shipped from a lending library will take at least 5-15 business days to arrive. Most material will arrive within this time frame, though some materials will take longer.
Users can track the status of their outstanding orders by logging into ILLiad and clicking on the Outstanding Requests link under the View menu. Users can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting additional information on a particular request. Be sure to provide the ILLiad transaction number in the email.
- Shipped Delivery: requested items are shipped to the address listed in your ILLiad account. Your material may not all arrive to you on the same day. We will ship the items to you as they are ready.
- Electronic Delivery: the DD/ILL Department now provides desktop delivery of articles to distance patrons. Through ILLiad we are able to post articles to a web site while simultaneously sending an e-mail notification to the patron. Your ILLiad account is automatically set to send your requested articles electronically. If you would like to opt out of electronic delivery services, please contact our office, (954) 262-4602, and we will mail the articles to you via U.S. mail.
- Other Options: some of the databases found online in the NSU’s Electronic Resources include the full text of newspaper and journal articles. A growing number of these databases can also provide full images of articles (pictures and graphs, along with text). See the complete list of databases. To determine whether a particular journal is available full text online, use Journal Finder.
Photocopies of articles are yours to keep, but books and other material must be returned to the Library by the due date. Books will be sent with a paper band around the cover indicating the due date. Generally, books you receive from the NSU library can be renewed online through NovaCat. You cannot renew a book after its due date. You can renew books through your circulation record in NovaCat.
If you would like to renew a book that we borrowed from another library you must renew via ILLiad three days prior to the due date. Please follow the renewal directions provided on the cover of the book.
Return all books to Document Delivery:
NSU – Alvin Sherman Library
3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33314
If the material is returned late you will receive an invoice via email for overdue charges. DO NOT send payments with the book as fees vary and the total due cannot be calculated until the material is received and checked in. Books that we have borrowed from other institutions that are returned late seriously jeopardize NSU’s ability to request materials from other libraries in the future.
Students are responsible for the cost of returning books. For other options on how to return your borrowed material please contact us at 954-262-4602 or email@example.com.
Local NSU students, faculty, staff, as well as public patrons that have an NSU library card are eligible to request books and journal articles that are not available at NSU. The Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center uses Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to borrow materials from other libraries whenever possible. Because of the time required for processing and delivery from the lending library, it can take as little as three days to as much as two weeks or longer to obtain some materials, depending on the availability or type of material requested. Due to these factors, you should begin your research as soon as possible to allow for any unexpected delays. NSU Libraries abide by the 1976 U.S. Copyright Law, which governs the borrowing and use of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Distance users of the Alvin Sherman Library can request items from the DD/ILL Department through their iLLiad account.
- The DD/ILL Department will not accept incomplete citations. Requests received with incomplete citations will be returned to you. Please stop by the Reference Desk or call if you have questions about what constitutes a complete citation: 954-262-4613 or 1-800-541-6682, ext. 24613.
- Please confirm that you do not have any outstanding fines with the Circulation and/or Interlibrary Loan Department prior to submitting requests. Request for materials will not be processed until all fines have been paid.
- Please be certain that the item(s) you are requesting are not available within the NSU Libraries’ collections. You can check to see if an item is available at NSU by searching NovaCat. Requests for materials that are currently available through the Alvin Sherman Library collection will not be filled for local users. For journal articles, you may also wish to check our full text databases before making a request. To find out if a particular journal is available in full text, check Journal Finder.
Turnaround time between processing requests and receipt of materials is dependent upon several factors, most of which are outside the control of the NSU Libraries. Because materials need to be shipped from the lending library, please allow at least 5-15 working days for your materials to arrive at NSU. Most materials will arrive within this time frame, although some materials may take longer.
You will be notified when your requested materials have arrived at the library. Materials will be held for pick up at the Circulation Desk in the Alvin Sherman Library, North Miami Beach Branch Library, or the Oceanographic Center. Faculty and staff may request that journal articles be delivered via interoffice mail. All users must come to library to check out materials that need to be returned to the lending institution.
The DD/ILL Department now provides desktop delivery of articles to its local patrons. Through ILLiad we are able to post articles to a web site while simultaneously sending an e-mail notification to the patron. Users can select this mode of delivery in their ILLiad user account. We will only post materials that we receive from other libraries, we cannot post materials held by the Alvin Sherman Library for local patrons.
Photocopies of articles are yours to keep, but books and other materials must be returned to the library. Books requested through the DD/ILL Department have a paper band around the cover indicating the due date. Please return books – with the paper band intact – to the Alvin Sherman Library by the due date to avoid a fine. Books returned to the lending libraries late seriously jeopardize our ability to request materials from that library in the future. If you need to keep a book longer, please contact DD/ILL Department before the due date so that we may request a renewal from the lending library.