NSU’s Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center (“Library”) ascribes to the Leave No Trace Behind principle as its policy for food and drink in the Library. The purpose of this policy is to:
- Provide patrons with a clean, safe and healthy environment for study and research
- Preserve Library materials and protect Library furnishings and equipment
- Prevent disruption to others’ use of the Library
- Provide opportunity for patrons to consume food and drink
Help us keep a clean and comfortable Library by adhering to the following policy:
1.) Food and drinks that Leave No Trace Behind! are permitted in the:
- 1st and 2nd floor vending machine areas
- study rooms/reading areas
- meeting or conference rooms (catered by NSU Shark Dining only)
- special events in Public Library Services, Cotilla Gallery or Atrium
2.) Leave No Trace Behind!
- Drinks in a covered, spill-proof cup or beverage holder
- Cold, pre-packaged ‘snack size’ food*
- Clean up after drinks or food is consumed
- Place all trash in a trash receptacle or recycle bin
- Report accidents/spills to Library staff immediately for cleanup
3.) The Library does not permit:
- Food or drink at any computers, scanners, copiers or in the computer labs
- Delivery of food except when brought in by the NSU authorized catering service
- Alcoholic beverages of any kind
Library and Public Safety personnel have final approval of what sort of food, beverages, or containers are allowed in the library.
*Snack food is defined as: packaged foods which can easily be eaten dry and with the hands. Examples of snack foods include candy, chips, nuts, dried cereal or fruit, granola bars, and cookies. Examples of foods not considered as snack foods are those that are messy and/or aromatic, such as pizza, sandwiches, salads, yogurt, fresh fruit, ice cream, foods with dipping sauces, etc.
Any violation of the Library Food and Drink Policy will result in Library staff or a Public Safety officer asking you to either dispose of the item or leave the Library.