Did you know that according to the 2010 Census, approximately 22% of Broward County adults are functionally illiterate? These individuals can’t read to their children, assist with homework, complete a job application or write a basic letter.
Every day, the NSU Alvin Sherman Library staff is working diligently with the community to help reduce the illiteracy rate in Broward County. Whether it’s through children’s story times, school outreaches, or workshops for NSU students, our librarians focus on building a love for reading and making a difference in their lives.
Your Circle of Friends membership is a VITAL part of our funding and helps us make our contributions to the library and other literacy-based community projects possible.
This past year, becoming a Circle of Friend member helped fund:
• The Circle of Friends state-of-the-art Collaborative Study Room where NSU and community students can engage in group study and project work.
• SeussFest! This annual community event celebrates the works and contributions of Dr. Seuss through interactive programs and activities which encourages a love for reading. This year alone, the Library gave away over 2,500 books to children who attended this event.
Over the years, the Circle of Friends has also continued to help:
• Build one of the finest print, e-book and audiobook collections in the county
• Purchase academic databases for research available to NSU students and faculty, as well as all Broward residents, employees and students
• Update critical technology to help build a nucleus of information for NSU students and the public
• Refurbish a teen room that is now a hub to hang out in after school
• Provide new furniture for the very popular children’s area
That’s why, as President of the Circle of Friends, I am asking you to help us meet the needs of the NSU and the Broward county public by renewing your membership today!
If you have already renewed, thank you for your continued loyalty. Remember, your membership donation is fully tax-deductible as allowed by the law and valid through June 30th, 2017.
To renew online, visit: nova.edu/cof
If you have any questions, please call: (954) 262-4627 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your partner in literacy,
Michael C. Greenberg,
President, Circle of Friends