Borrowers are responsible for returning Alvin Sherman Library materials by their due dates. If borrowers return library materials in such condition that the library decides to replace them, then they will be billed for the cost of replacing the material, plus the cost of processing the replacement copy. The fees are in addition to any fines that may have accumulated. In the case of minors, parents or guardians are responsible for returning library materials in reasonable condition and for paying any fees or fines incurred.
The library reserves the right to assess and declare the condition of all returned library materials. Library staff will assess damage to the materials. Damage fees may vary, depending on the extent of damage, up to the full replacement costs of the item. Highlighting, pen marks, crayon marks and liquid stains are examples of damage to library materials.
Library materials will be declared lost by circulation staff members based on the specific material’s loan period, or if the patron declares the library material lost before that time.
The library sends out damaged, lost book and overdue notices by email or via U.S mail.
All patrons are responsible for informing the library of address, phone, and email changes.
Determining a fair and adequate replacement cost for library materials is at the discretion of a circulation supervisor and will be based on the average cost as listed in Amazon.com. There will be consultation with a librarian on staff as needed regarding replacement costs. (See schedule of charges below)
A $15.00 processing fee is assessed for each item that is billed for replacement.
A borrower may elect to purchase a replacement copy. This must be identical to the original copy and have the same ISBN number or other standard identifying number as determined by library staff member (in the case of A-V materials). A replacement copy must be in new or “like new” condition. A library circulation supervisor will examine the purchased copy and determine its’ identical quality. The processing fee will be waived if the borrower replaces the material, but the fine will still be assessed.
Items that are billed for replacement remain the property of the Alvin Sherman Library and must be returned if found. The full amount billed, less any fines, is refunded if the item is returned in good condition within 30 days of the billing date, and upon proof of payment. After that time, the replacement cost will be refunded only if the item is returned in good condition and a replacement copy has not yet been ordered.
A borrower has 90 days to clear their account before replacement costs will be assessed. Patrons will initially be notified by telephone if an item(s) was returned damaged or with missing parts. A message through e-mail or mail will also be sent to the patron once the 90 days have elapsed and damaged or incomplete materials will be discarded (replaced).
Due to Audiovisual (A/V) materials’ high circulating demand, a borrower has only 30 days to replace accompanying materials to A/V items before costs are assessed. The schedule of charges below lists most of the accompanying materials to A/V items.
Schedule of Charges
*This is a guideline and subject to change
- Books with CD’s etc., replacement cost of book and CD
- DVD – replacement costs
- DVD player – replacement costs
- DVD cases – $1.00
- DVD jackets – $5.00
- Hanging bags – plastic – $1.00
- Hanging bags – canvas – $5.00
- Kit (book plus cassette/CD) – replacement costs
- Music CD – replacement costs
- Music CD cases – $1.00
- Music CD jackets – $5.00
- Music audiocassettes – replacement costs
- Music audiocassettes cases – $1.00
- Music audiocassettes jackets – $5.00
- LeapPad® system – replacement costs (if any part is missing, the entire replacement costs apply)
- Books and cartridges – replacement costs
- Playaways – replacement costs
- Software – replacement costs
- Spoken word items:
- Book on tape – $9.00 per cassette
- Book on tape – case $10.00
- Book on tape – insert/jacket $5.00
- Book on CD – $9.00 per CD
- Book on CD – case $10.00
- Book on CD – insert/jacket $5.00 If an entire spoken word set is lost, the charge will be the full replacement cost.
- Turbo Twist – replacement costs
- VHS – replacement costs
- VHS cases – $1.00
- VHS jackets – $5.00
- Video Games – replacement costs
- Video Games cases – $1.00
- Video Games jackets – $5.00