NSU’s Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center combines a public library, an academic library, auditorium, classrooms, and computer labs in one building. The entire library is open to all users.
Below you will find a brief account of the collection and services as they are distributed across each floor of the building. You’ll notice that each floor has a different color scheme accentuated by the architecture.
In addition to the collections within the building, the library also subscribes to numerous electronic research databases which are available to library users from public computers or through wifi. They offer a large variety of scholarly journal and periodical articles, electronic books, indexes, abstracts, etc. To search for materials in the collection use NovaCat. To search databases go to the Database list.
Every floor is equipped with restrooms, cell phone zones, and public computers with pay-for-print options.
Cash to card machines are available on the first and second floors. Photocopiers are available on the first, second and third floors. A scanner is available on the second floor.
There are also a meter machine to add time for parking, on the first floor near the West End Ave Deli.
- Bestsellers (Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC))
- Large print books (DDC)
- Children’s and Young Adult Collections (DDC)
- Popular Magazines and newspapers in several languages (A-Z)
- Audiobooks on CD, Playaway
- Video Games
- Public Library Services
- Circulation Department
- West End Avenue Deli
- OIIT computer labs and Electronic Classrooms
About NSU Dissertations
NSU dissertations are available to NSU students, faculty, and staff, as well as registered Broward County library cardholders. To locate these titles, check the library catalog, NovaCat; then request them at the Circulation Desk. Second copies of some dissertations may be located on the 4th floor. Special conditions apply to this material; please read more about this procedure by visiting the Circulation Department page on “Requesting Dissertations”.
- Reference Collection (Library of Congress System (LC))
- Microforms and ERIC Collection
- Periodicals, including scholarly journals (A-Z)
- Adolfo and Marisela Cotilla Gallery
- Reference and Instructional Library Services Department
- Grant Writing Laboratory (NSU faculty, staff and students only)
About the Microforms and ERIC collection
Documents on microform (microfilm and microfiche) include newspapers, periodicals, and special collections. Special collections items include FBI files, Terrorism Special Studies, Florida 1989-1997 Return of Private Foundation: Form 990-PF, and Corefiche (drama, essays, general literature, poetry, and short stories). These microforms are located in the southwest corner of the second floor near the photocopy room. A microfilm and microfiche printer-viewer is located in this area as well.
The library also maintains a comprehensive collection of ERIC (Educational Resource Information Center)Documents on microfiche. ERIC microfiche is located in the northwest corner of the second floor near Lab A.
- Academic Books, Videos and DVDs (LC Call Numbers A-PQ)
- Document Delivery / Interlibrary Loan
- Library Administration
- Library Systems
- Academic Books, Videos and DVDs(LC Call Numbers PR-Z)
- Oversize Book Collection (LC)
- Music CDs
- Telepresence Room